About the Blog

I often run into Computing or Auto Problems, and sometimes both. Sometimes it is near impossible to find solutions to the troubles I have and so when I do find a solution, I wanted to keep a record, and share it with others so that they won't have the same difficult time finding the answer as I did.

I Hope this helps and that If anyone likes this blog, will send me solutions to their more obscure problems that were difficult to find so that I can post it and build a blog full of obscure or difficult problems to solve, and plain and simple solutions posted for all to benefit.

Thanks for Checking this out!

~Wes Betenson

Sunday, August 29, 2010

17" MacBook Pro and Video Card Failure

Trouble Ticket


Type Computing Platform MAC OS N/A

Date 15-May-10 Application N/A Hardware MBP, Nvidia Video Card

Category Hardware Failure Level Medium Time Taken N/A



Description
17" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz boot up but screen was black. Rebooting did not solve the prolem. External Video devices were also black.






Cause
Certain Models of Apple Macbook Pro's using NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics Processors have a high rate of failure. This issue is related to this link. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 .





Solution
Take the laptop in to Apple's Genius Bar even if out of warranty. Replace the main logic board.


Here's what I did.
I went to the nearest Apple retail store and brought the laptop with me. The "Genius" in the back looked at the printout of the link posted above and performed the tests related to the issue. The tests he performed actually made the matter worse, the CD ROM drive wouldn't eject anymore and it wouldn't even act like it was booting. He eventually went in to the back, meanwhile I messed with the laptop until I could get it to boot again and eject my cd. The "Genius" came back and told me it would be about 350 dollars as a flat rate to repair anything wrong with it. I told him that we would not pay 350 dollars for a faulty part and requested that they replace the logic board at no cost and if that did not fix it then I would wait until I had the money to send it in since they would replace the logic board anyways to rule out the video issue. They eventually agreed to fix it at no charge. The next day I had it back in perfect condition with a new logic board.



Total Cost 0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment